Friday, December 12, 2008

This entry should follow the Traditional Medicine Museum entry below but I messed up

Warning: Ethnographic phalli ahead.

At the Museum of Traditional Medicine in Ho Chi Minh City, my tour guide led me to the rooftop where we entered this little pagoda.It was a replica of a Cham temple. The Cham are an ethnic minority spread out around Southeast Asia -- although in Vietnam, they're concentrated in the southern part of the country. Most Cham are Muslims but a minority practice a unique religion that resembles Hinduism. (I think this is mostly correct info!)

These women here are holding up a large linga symbol, a phallic sign of fertility. I missed most of the juicy details because my tour guide's accent was too thick for me to catch much. The linga dominated the center of the small pagoda; here is its basin.

This plaque reads: "The symbol of belief in sex. The belief in the wish of multiplication of the nature and the people."

I am not sure I believe in the wish of multiplication of too many more people.


I loved this gentle statue of a woman holding a jar, which was tucked away in the corner.

Below is another linga, adorned with many jutting boobies. And that's my reflection, ogling them!

No comments:

Post a Comment